After more than 55 hours of careful research and review, we are pleased to present to you this list of what we believe are the 11 best sofa beds currently available on the market.
We rated each sofa bed based on comfort, appearance, upholstery, support, cost, verified customer review and more.
Anyone who has lived through the 90s or earlier remembers the lumpy, heavy, reclining sofa beds from before.
In the past, sofa beds were often very difficult to move from house to house, catching the fingers when opened, and delivering a far less than ideal night’s sleep.
From fold-outs to trundles to chaise longues or ottoman accessories, many sofa beds can be compared to either a full sofa, a cozy mattress or at best both.
Sofa beds do not have to be painful. In fact, this next-generation group of pull-out beds and trundle beds can be an absolute dream to sleep on, according to real customers.
We mixed through the reviews to find out which ones were right. We then examined the best features of each sofa bed we studied.
Want to save time digging through thousands of reviews? Then read on to the inside of these top rated sofa beds.
See the 11 best sofa beds below
Sofa Bed Buying Guide: What You Need to Know
Our staff researched what is good and bad about today’s sofa beds, and then chose some of the absolute best they could find. If you want to save some work on researching good sofa beds, the reviews above should get you on your way.
On the other hand, if you want to do your own research, there are a few tips to help you choose the absolute best sofa bed. Remember the following.
Different types of sofa beds
There are generally five different types of sofa beds. No single sofa bed fits every buyer. Here are the different types and how they are used.
- Pull-out: This is the old standby when it comes to sofa beds. A pull-out bed is literally raised up and out and shows the mattress that is usually folded inside the bed. The above choices, which are pull-outs, are generally described as easy to lift, and they fold away to be almost imperceptible, but if you have physical considerations, you may want something lighter.
- Trolley: Trolley beds date back centuries and the idea is still amazing today. Trolley beds pull straight out from the couch on tracks so there is no lifting up and out. The bottom of the sofa is generally quite high as it should accommodate the mattress and the base.
- Section piece: Many customers love their section. What they may not know is that some sections are created to have a smooth transition from one piece to another so they can be pushed together to become sleepers. This can be a very easy and versatile way to use your sofa bed.
- Futons are an Eastern tradition and have gained popularity in the West since the end of the 20th century. They are incredibly versatile and are usually lightweight. Just fold the futon up to become a sofa, down to become a bed or reading chair. The downside is that they usually do not look like western sofas, but adding a frame can bring a whole new look to these spine-friendly, inexpensive pieces.
- Daybed: Daybeds are not just for dolls and old magazines anymore! Daybeds are a great choice if you do not want to have to lift, fold or rearrange. Dressed with pillows, it looks like a beautiful sofa, but it also acts as a sleeping cabin. Daybeds are usually not that big, so try them for dorm houses or smaller living spaces.
Pricing of your sofa bed
Sofa beds certainly do not have to be expensive, especially since they no longer consist of heavy steel parts as before. Lightweight materials have replaced some of the bulk, and along with them have come better prices.
You should not expect to spend significantly more on your sofa bed than on a standard sofa. On the other hand, they are not always easy to compare, as materials, the manufacturer and the type of sofa bed all come into play.
Never sit on the most expensive sofa bed because you think it should be the best or the cheapest because you just know you are getting a great deal. While it is possible for one of these to be true in individual cases, you will want to confirm the claims. Which brings us to …
Always confirm reviews
We place so much emphasis on customer reviews because buyers – whether they are excited about their purchase, horrified or somewhere in between – will generally cut through the claims to give you the real scoop.
However, fair warning: do not trust every customer review. While it is unlikely that anyone will get a free sofa bed in exchange for reviews, there are other ways in which individuals can get compensation.
Many sites crack down on refusing sponsored reviews or reviews given in exchange for discounts or free products. We focused on Amazon because the company takes a hard line against poor crawling practices, but even with that in mind, make sure the comments do not sound like they were copied and pasted from a sales page.
You will be amazed at how much you will learn about the product by reading what people have to say about it.
We were actually very excited to uncover so many amazing finds when it came to sofa beds. Sofa beds are making a comeback and it’s easy to see why.
They are practical, they look good and they allow you to have guests overnight or fit comfortably into smaller living areas.
As long as you make sure to check all the claims from the manufacturers, you have a lot at your disposal to choose the best sofa bed. Use our buying guide above if you are only looking for a sofa bed. Sleep well!