Arlo Technologies was founded in 2014. It was originally a division of Netgear before being separated from them in 2018. Arlo is headquartered in San Jose, California, and produces a number of wireless home cameras, including Arlo Go. (We also have an overview of all Arlo cameras.)
Arlo Go can be used indoors, but it is designed to withstand the elements, so it can also be used outdoors. It is a good option for people who prefer to install and monitor their cameras themselves as there are no professional options for either through the company. It requires a mobile data plan as it works via LTE rather than Wi-Fi. This makes it a particularly good choice for those who do not have Wi-Fi or are often in areas where it is not accessible.
- The Arlo Go laptop has no wires, so it’s easy to move around from place to place. It is also made to work indoors or outdoors so you have the flexibility to move it between the two as you wish.
- No contract Arlo does not offer professional monitoring, so there is no long contract to sign. It is a great option for those who prefer to make their home security.
- Does not require Wi-Fi Arlo Go works over LTE, so you do not need a Wi-Fi connection for it to work. This is good news for people who live in or often travel to rural areas where Wi-Fi connections may be spotty. There is also no worry about what to do when Wi-Fi is turned off.
- Expensive Arlo Go is quite expensive when it comes to cameras. A camera alone costs $ 400 or more. If you want to equip your home with multiple cameras, the cost can be added quickly, plus you have to pay for a monthly mobile plan.
- Requires mobile plan You need to sign up for a mobile data plan to monitor Arlo Go as it runs on LTE. Prices vary depending on the operator you choose, but it is an ongoing cost that you will have to bear. Arlo Go works with AT&T, Verizon, US Cellular and T-Mobile.
Arlo Go Features
App Arlo Go uses the same app as all Arlo cameras. It allows you to watch and record video, activate bidirectional sound, and adjust camera settings from your mobile device.
Two-way call With a built-in speaker and microphone, you can talk to and hear who is within range of the camera. It’s a great way to keep in touch with loved ones when you’re away, and if you happen to see an uninvited guest, you may be able to scare them away through your camera.
Motion detection A motion sensor gives warnings that someone or something is moving the area. Its wide-angle lens also covers a good amount of area.
Night vision When the lights are dimmed, it does not mean that your perception becomes dark. Arlo Go is equipped with night vision technology that automatically turns on when darkness begins, so you can clearly see what is happening around the clock.
Free Cloud Storage Want to review what happened while you were away? Arlo Go saves seven days of motion and sound activated recordings. It also has a built-in SD card slot so you can store recordings longer if you wish.
Smart home integration If you want to connect your camera to your smart home devices, good luck. Arlo Go works with Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, Google Assistant and Stringify.
Weatherproof Arlo Go can be used indoors or outdoors as it is built hard enough to withstand water, cold and heat.
Ease of use There are no wires to mess with and no wires to consider. Arlo Go is simple to install and can be placed on any flat surface or mounted on a wall.
Security plan offer
Ground plan Arlo’s ground plan offers seven days of motion and sound activated activity, so you can see a week’s worth of what’s happening. There is no cost to this plan.
Premier Plan The Premier Plan provides 30 days of recording in 2K video resolution. It also includes advanced features such as packet detection and advanced object detection as well as intelligent alarms and the ability to set zones in cloud activity so that you only receive alarms when activity is detected in certain areas. The cost is $ 2.99 / month for one camera or $ 9.99 / month for up to five cameras. If you have more than five cameras, each of them is then offered at a 50% discount.
Elite Plan Arlo’s elite plan offers all the same features as the first plan, but the video resolution is double – up to 4K. It runs $ 4.99 / month for one camera and $ 14.99 / month for up to five cameras. If you have more than five cameras, each of them is then offered at a 50 percent discount.
Arlo Go comes with the following equipment:
- 1 camera
- 1 rechargeable battery
- 1 power cable
- 1 SIM card
- 1 outdoor safety bracket
- 3 mounting screws
- 1 guide
- 1 window sticker
The Last Nerd Word about Arlo Go
If you are looking for a wireless indoor or outdoor security camera, Arlo Go is worth considering. It is easy to use, reliable and portable. This is a particularly good option for those in rural areas, as it runs on LTE rather than Wi-Fi, but that means you need to have a mobile data plan with one of the mobile providers working with Arlo Go.
While the Arlo Go is more expensive than many other home cameras, it may be worth it for those who like the flexibility and access it provides.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official security expert in the field of home security and safety. As a member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before issuing his approval stamp. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.