Everything in the world comes with pros and cons. Luxury vinyl tiles are no different. It provides beautiful 3D graphics, natural stone or tree stimulation and longevity with less maintenance for sure. But at the same time, you will have some issues with luxury vinyl tile.
Once you know the issues and benefits, it becomes easier to decide to use the tile. To help you make your decision, we share some common issues you may have with luxury vinyl. At the same time, we show you the solutions for dealing with the problems.
Common problems with luxury vinyl tiles
Luxury vinyl brings a luxurious look to our home. Unfortunately, you also have to face some issues. So let’s look at the common problems and solutions.
One of the common problems with luxury vinyl tiles is discoloration. Luxury vinyl tiles enhance the aesthetic beauty of your home with its shiny graphics. However, it begins to lose its color after a few years and becomes faded. Your home is starting to look lifeless and pale.
Causes of discoloration
You may be wondering why luxury vinyl tiles are discolored. It is natural for us to spill food or drink on the floor. No matter how careful we are, we can not prevent an accident. The tiles absorb the water from spilled beverages or food and ruin the shiny graphics.
Unfortunately, spilled food or beverages are not the main sins here of being discolored. Sunlight heat or vent heat also plays an important role in fading the tile. Sometimes we want to get fresh sunlight at home and lay down the curtain. We also want solar heating to heat our room. At the back, it is not possible to keep your room in the shade all the time.
- Clean spilled food or drink immediately. You can also use a rug to protect the floor from absorbing water.
- Lay the curtain down to prevent sunlight from entering. You can use the morning light when the temperature is low to natural light.
- Stop using a hot air to protect your vinyl tile from discoloration.
Scratches on our furniture, floors, walls and everywhere else are common. So it is not surprising that your luxurious vinyl tile floor will also be scratched. We have so many tools in our daily lives that can cause scratches on the LVT. When that happens, your floor looks old, faded and dull.
Causes of scratches
Hard dirt is the biggest culprit for making scratches. When you come home from outside, bringing hard dirt with shoes will cause damage. To avoid scratches caused by hard dirt, immediately wipe or sweep it off with a soft broom. High heels can also make scratches. So try not to let your guest enter your room with shoes.
After being so careful, scratches sometimes occur. Do not worry! You can do things right by taking immediate action
- Step 1: First clean the scratches with soapy water and a sponge and let the area dry. You may want to consider using other cleaning products. But are cleaning products safe for vinyl planks? It is safe until it is pH neutral. Anything with ammonia can damage the vinyl.
- Step 2: Use sandpaper and rub the scratched area gently. You will see the marks come out.
- Step 3: Then use finer sandpaper to make the vinyl tiles shine again.
Shells and cracks
Even after such care and maintenance
Cause of peeling and cracks
The adhesive used to attach the luxurious vinyl tile weakens over time. After a certain period, the tiles start to peel off from the corner.
- Step 1: Take a sheet of foil and place it on the peeled area.
- Step 2: Use your iron and heat the area over the foil paper to soften the adhesive. You will see your tiles come up.
- Step 3: Now pull the tile and use a good adhesive.
- Step 4: Put the tiles back and press it with a needle or something else.
- Step 5: Wait a few hours for the glue to get stronger and you get a brand new tile again.
Difficulties with installation and repair
Installation is another big challenge you may face when using luxury vinyl tile. If the substrate is uneven when the tile is installed, it may strain or take more materials during installation. This is because you need to place the tile over the high and low dent.
In addition, moisture in the room creates another challenge when installing the tiles. When vinyl tile comes in contact with moisture, it gets damaged. The moisture also weakens the adhesive, causing peeling of the tile.
Other than that, repair can be problems for vinyl tiles. Since it is not made of wood or bamboo, it is almost impossible to repair it when it gets scratched or breaks. You have no choice but to replace the tile for your home.
- Try making the substrate even before installing the luxurious vinyl tile
- Be sure to reduce the humidity in the room, then install the tiles
- Get professional help to repair the tiles.
Non-biodegradable and harmful to health
Vinyl tiles are not biodegradable and very expensive to recycle. The used tiles burn up or end up in landfills when their lives end to save money. These used tiles have a great impact on the environment. Manufacturers also use PVC and phthalates in most cases to produce vinyl tiles.
Exposure to phthalates can cause more problems for children. Some phthalates are even responsible for cancer. The problem is that we do not know what type of phthalate is used in the tile. Why? The chemical companies are not required to tell their ingredients used in the materials. There is no solution to this problem but not to use it.
- Use carpet to avoid direct contact with the tiles
- Choose tiles that have little or no phthalate. Even if it has phthalate, make sure that the phthalate is not a harmful type.
Luxury vinyl tiles are becoming more popular day by day. It makes your floor luxurious and increases the real state value of your property. But luxury does not mean zero problems at all. Like any other material or floor tile in the world, you will also find problems with luxury vinyl tile.
After reading this article, you are now aware of the problem and the solution. If you follow the solution and take the right measurement, use the tile as safely as possible. These solutions also help you keep your floor new and shiny for a long time. Therefore, you can increase your property value and aesthetic beauty in your home.