Clogging the kitchen sink is every homeowner’s biggest nightmare. It slows down all your kitchen activities that require water. And worst of all, call a plumber to clean the kitchen sink as they cost a lot of money. However, there are a few methods to remove blockage of sinks using some simple household items. If you are lucky, you can unblock the kitchen sink drain in cents in no time. Just try them before you hard dial the plumber’s number.
DIY methods to unblock the drain:
There are several ways to clean a kitchen sink drain both chemically and naturally. And below we have mentioned some popular and effective methods that will help clean your drain within minutes (1, 2). Check them out and find out which method works best to clean your kitchen sinks.
A plunger is a common household tool. They were invented only to help clog bathrooms and sinks. For this method, fill the kitchen sink halfway with hot water. Then it’s time to place the plunger over the drain with the rubber cup sealed properly. Then it’s time to push and pull the plunger using the handle. This up and down action will move the water quickly inside the drain, helping to loosen trapped particles. The process may take some time, and if it does not succeed, you can move on to another method.
2) Boiling water and table salt
Salt is a regularly used item in the kitchen that contains almost all types of meals and beverages to enhance the taste. In addition to improving the taste, you can clean the drain with salt. Make sure your kitchen sink has no standing water before passing 1/2 cup of table salt down the drain. Let the salt sit for a few minutes. Then add boiling water directly to the drain. If all the water goes down smoothly, then congratulations on your kitchen sink is not clogged, otherwise it is time to move on to a strong drain method.
3) Baking soda and vinegar
The amazing combination of baking soda and vinegar is used for different types of household cleaning. In addition, they are an effective way to clean drains filled with grease and other tired things. For this natural stuffing method, use hot water, 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar. There should be no water. First of all, pour a little warm water down the drain followed by 1 cup of baking powder. You can use a wooden or silicone spatula to push the baking powder down. Now add 1 cup of vinegar and cover the drain hole with a stopper. This prevents bubbles from coming out. Let the solution do its work for 15 minutes before removing the stopper and pouring in the remaining hot water.
4) Hot water
If you see water slowly passing down the kitchen outlet, do not wait for it to clog completely. Good action in the beginning prevents you from spending big later. And boiling water is the easiest and cheapest method of fixing a slowly drained sink. Fill a kettle or frying pan with water and keep it on the stove. Let the water boil properly. Then take the kettle or frying pan over the kitchen sink and pour the hot water directly over the drain. Hot water helps loosen soap, makeup and other substances that are stuck to the walls of the pipe over time.
Clogging mostly takes place in the parking trap under the kitchen sink. The main purpose of P-tray in plumbing is to collect dirt and particles coming out of the drain from the basin. Capturing particles at this stage prevents the formation of a large clog in the plumbing pipes. It also stops the sewer air from passing into your kitchen. And to remove the parking trap, use a bucket and a basic plumbing tool. Place the bucket under the drain, then loosen the parking trap. The waste starts to fall as soon as you remove the parking trap, if any. Rinse the P-trap well before attaching it again and the water will start to flow smoothly again.
6) Baking soda and lemon
Here is another popular and effective way to clean the drain naturally. Two basic household items can help you save money by cleaning your drains. Take 1/2 cup baking powder and 1/2 cup lemon juice in bowls separately. First it goes into baking powder and then you can add lemon juice. Connect the drain and let the solution sit for an hour. The acidic nature of lemon helps get rid of grease and gunk, while the alkaline nature of baking powder acts as a good scrub. After an hour, you can pour a pot of boiling water down.
7) Baking water and salt
This process of clogging the kitchen drain will take some time. Mix 1 cup baking powder and 1/2 cup salt in a bowl. Then pour this natural drain cleaner solution into the drain hole and let it stand for at least an hour. Finally, rinse the solution with boiling water. You can repeat the process 2-3 times if there is an improvement in the result.
How to prevent clogging of your kitchen sink?
Clogging of bathroom or kitchen drains is a common phenomenon. Each person experiences a clogged drain once in their lifetime. And the reasons are quite obvious. Knowingly or unconsciously, we pass many objects down the drain and as a result it becomes clogged. But a small piece of information can prevent the awkward situation. Go through the points below that will help prevent your kitchen sink drain from clogging.
- Use waste disposal: We often go through our leftovers and kitchen waste inside our sink and this is one of the reasons why the sink gets blocked in the first place. Installing a good waste disposal unit under the kitchen sink will help you prevent future clogging.
- Cool is the biggest enemy of any drain. You feel like liquid will pass through the pipes, but instead it gets stuck on the walls and clogs the drain. Then pour oil, grease or paint down the lines.
- Starchy foods as potato, corn, rice, etc. are high in fiber and fiber expands when in the tube.
- Coffee grinder is also one of the biggest culprits in the drain line. The soil feels like they dissolve in the water, but in reality they are stuck in the pipe and waste disposal.
- Certain Expired medicines loses their ability to dissolve in water and can get stuck in the pipeline. So it is proposed to give expired and unused medicines back to a pharmacy for proper disposal.
- Kitchen paper, baby wipes and cotton balls are strict so as not to rinse the kitchen sink down.
- Strong cleaning agents should also not be poured down the drain. Using them regularly can affect the walls of the pipe, but the worst thing is that these chemicals mix with the water and contribute to water pollution. So switch to a natural drain cleaner that is good for both the drain pipe and the environment, instead of a chemical agent.
Clogged washing and drainage of pipes will make a mess out of your kitchen. Then incorporate healthy and tidy maintenance habits into the kitchen, such as the use of waste disposal, drying rack, trash cans and clean your countertop regularly.