do you know about the Shiplap Kitchen Backsplash modeling system.The kitchen is the most popular space for remodeling, according to the National Association of Homebuilders. So chances are, if you remodel a room, it’s going to be the kitchen. But you do not have to go all out to make an impact.
An easy thing you can do in your kitchen is to add a backsplash. Adding a backsplash to your kitchen is one of the best things you can do for it. Not only does it look great, but it can increase the value of your home significantly.
What is a Backsplash?
Backsplashes are layers of material that are often put on the wall between the table tops and the above cabinets or ceiling. They are found in the bathroom and kitchen, but are most often added to kitchens.
You can even install a backsplash with tiles or other material or let a professional contractor do it for you. Either way, adding a backsplash can be the best thing you do for your kitchen and its resale value.
What is a Shiplap Backsplash?
While most backsplashes are made of tiles, you can make them out of anything you want to make them out of. Shiplap is a great alternative to tiles that look just as good and sometimes even better.
The average cost of shiplap is around $ 4 per square foot, but ranges from $ 2 to $ 7 per square foot. On the other hand, tiles have a much wider range, but are generally also around $ 4 per square foot.
This means that the two have the same average, but shiplap has a much smaller range. Because the cost of boards is fairly uniform, while the price of tile varies from $ 1 to $ 20 per tile. Square foot. So the type of tile matters.
How to use a Shiplap Kitchen Backsplash
There are many different ways to use shiplap in your kitchen as a backsplash. But there are also a few key points you need to keep in mind when choosing your design. These designs are great ways to get inspired with shiplap backsplashes.
The continued Shiplap Backsplash
The continued backsplash is common and it makes a huge difference. You can use it on the walls and as a backsplash, and make sure the two continue instead of cutting each other off. You want a constant flow.
- Looks natural – it’s a good idea to make your shiplap this way. It looks amazing and as if it was meant to be built this way. It also gives you plenty of room for large closets because shiplap will still be visible.
- Huge influence – This is a big one. If you make your shiplap like this, it will have a big impact on the way your kitchen looks. It completely transforms your kitchen even if you do nothing else about it.
- High-end in short, your kitchen will look much taller if you do this to your kitchen. Adding backsplash is one thing, but bringing that look to your walls will also increase the value of your home.
- Clean corners – when you can make sure the shiplap meets and overlaps instead of being cut off when the wall changes, you can make sure the corners are clean. This will bring the whole kitchen together.
- Expensive – this is the biggest drop in this look. You will no doubt pay significantly more to add shiplap to your walls. The average square footage on the backsplash is 5-10sqft, while a kitchen wall will be ten times as much.
- Difficult to install – you need longer boards to make it look good and properly symmetrical. So it is more difficult to install a backsplash that is of the same type of wall covering that is used on your kitchen wall.
White on white
White on white is a common way to make shiplap if you want to refrain from being labeled with “farmhouse” design style. Although shiplap is primarily intended for farmhouse looks, this is one way to make it look different.
- Looks clean – nothing looks cleaner than white. So adding white on white can look as clean as a kitchen can look. Getting white appliances and even white countertops can help complete the white on white look.
- Simplicity – there is something special about a simple white design. It is simple, peaceful and free from distraction. Therefore, it is often used for those who have stressed lives due to external circumstances or psychological reasons.
- Different design style – if you use white on white, you can do whatever you want with it, regardless of your style. You can even add colors with color where you want, but the basic design should be white in this case.
- Can be sharp – some people feel like white on white makes a room feel like a doctor’s office. As if it is boring and powerful. Others, however, feel it is therapeutic. So it’s about personal taste.
- Hard to clean – we all know that it is difficult to keep white clean. If you keep it clean, it is usually due to bleach, which can be harmful to use for a long time in the kitchen. So cleaning with bleach is not ideal.
If white on white is not your thing, you can go the other way and use a simple shiplap backsplash and many other details in your kitchen. Backsplash does not have to define the kitchen, it can accentuate it.
- Can be customized – if you go this route and add pictures, colorful closets and contrasting floors, you can do as you please. This can be customized completely and the sky is the beginning of the border.
- Shows your personality – just like the way you can customize a kitchen with a shiplap backsplash, you can also let your personality shine. Add small pieces of yourself in your kitchen.
- Adds character – do you know what adds personality? Grade. So if you go this way to use a shiplap backsplash, you can be sure that your kitchen has a lot of character. And the amount is up to you.
- Backsplash may disappear – if you go overboard with too many other things that catch your eye, the nice shiplap backsplash can disappear. Since this was the focal point before, it can be a shame when no one notices it.
- May be too busy – if you add too much to your kitchen, it can be busy. No one knows where to lead, no one knows what to appreciate. It is simply overwhelming for most people. So choosing and choosing what to add is a good plan.
Most people will never think about putting their shiplap vertically. But you can do it! It makes the kitchen look taller and completely transforms the purpose of shiplap backsplash. Doesn’t it look unique?
- Eclectic – of course, because it’s different, this type of backsplash looks eclectic. But the term eclectic refers to something that is a kind of hodge-podge and draws from different sources of design.
- Unique – again, there is not much more unique than trying something new. While most people think a horizontal shiplap looks better, you may be the person stepping out on the water and setting it vertically.
- God flow believe it or not, vertical shiplap may have better flow than horizontal shiplap. It draws the eye up and can open a space. It makes the area look taller and if you have nice ceilings, this is a plus.
- Can make the kitchen look shorter – when a room looks taller, it usually also looks shorter. That’s one thing a vertical shiplap backsplash can do. Especially if you add the wall in the design.
- Hard for some backsplashes – it can be difficult to install a vertical plate backsplash if the area is short and wide. Because you will have to cut each board to be small and it will end up looking square.
Contains the ceiling
Incorporating the ceiling into your backsplash design can be even more effective than integrating the walls. Ceilings are often neglected and forgotten. But if you use shiplap on them, you can change this.
- Pulls eye to ceiling – if there is one way to draw the eye to the ceiling, it is to add something unique or funky. Shiplap is a great way to do that. Start at backsplash and continue up until the entire room is covered.
- Uses attic space – it can be difficult to use your ceiling. Most people cover it, paint it white and forget about it. But instead of trying to make it go away, you can bring it to life with shiplap.
- Looks very advanced – This is one of the best ways to make your ceiling look high-end. It can be hard to make a ceiling look expensive, but there is one thing we can all agree on. Good shiplap always looks high-end.
- Can close space in – even if done right, a shiplap ceiling can make a room look bigger, but it can also make it feel cramped. So it is important that you think through and decide the best route for you.
- Difficult to install – it is not easy to install anything in your ceiling. But it is especially difficult to install shiplap because it has to be done board by board if it is a proper shiplap. This is exhausting and often dangerous.
How to install a Shiplap Backsplash
Installing shiplap is not as difficult as it seems. All you need is a few tools, shiplap and paint if you plan to paint your shiplap. Here are the steps you can take to install a shiplap alone without a contractor.
Step 1: Prepare your wall
You can either use shiplap as a wall covering, or you can install it over an existing wall covering, such as. Drywall. If you have an existing wall, make sure it is clean and that all cladding and molding has been removed.
If your wall is not white, paint it as the shiplap has a hole that allows the color to pass through. So paint it in the same color as your shiplap will be to prevent bright colors from showing up.
Step 2: Measure the room
The best way to find out how much shiplap you need is to measure the space once you have removed the trim. Find the area square meters and then add approx. 10% to make sure you do not need anything extra.
Step 3: Find and mark studs
While most sticks are 16 inches apart, you cannot rely on this measurement completely. Instead, either invest in a stud search or look for visual studs. If this is your wall covering, you already know where the bolts are.
Step 4: Level the first table
It is very important that the first table you place is level. Use a good level and make sure it is level before moving on to the next one. Do this with the first few boards. The only one you can not do with it is the top.
Step 5: Secure the boards
The easiest way to start securing the boards is to glue the first one down. But if you have a partner, this is not necessary. They can hold the board up while you screw it into the pin. From there, it is easy as you can use the bottom board to hold it up.
If you are alone, you can use spaces to give it an authentic look. because the shiplap should not be pinched. It should be slightly placed instead. Use coins or spacers to do this.
Also make sure to shift the boards. Cut a table in half and use it for the second row. Make a dizzying pattern, being careful not to step up.
Make it your own
Once you have installed your shiplap, all that is left to do now is make it your own. Then add your own personal details to bring the whole space together. Choose shiplap backsplash styles that suit you and create a masterpiece.