It is either too small to accommodate two people or too large to fit in a small bedroom. Knowing the differences between mattress sizes and understanding who they are designed for is a big part of the new product research process. Today we need to analyze the differences and similarities between a Twin and a full size bed.
Everything about the single bed
Being the smallest version of an adult mattress, the single bed is preferred in many different situations by several categories of sleepers. The reason this bed size is so popular is that it measures 38 x 75 inches, making it really easy to fit even in small bedrooms. In the following sections, we will determine what are the main characteristics of a double bed and see if you currently need to make this purchase.
A double bed measures 38 x 75 inches. However, it is very important to point out that there is also a Twin-XL mattress size which is 5 inches longer compared to the regular Twin which measures 38 x 80 inches.
Who is it for?
If you are an adult who wants to buy a new mattress and encounter the dimensions of a single bed, you might think that this bed is too small for you. Who are Twin mattresses designed for, anyway?
- If you want to buy furniture for a small bedroom, you can consider investing in a double bed. They are great for small bedrooms and cramped spaces.
- If you want to move the mattress a lot, weight becomes an important shopping consideration. Since the single bed is smaller compared to other mattress sizes, it is also lighter, which makes it better for those of you who often end up in situations where they have to move the mattress.
- Since mattress size will always have an impact on the final price, Twin mattresses are cheaper compared to almost every other option on the market (the only mattresses that are actually cheaper than a Twin bed are crib mattresses and short twins).
- Because they are designed to comfortably accommodate a single person and are shorter in lengths compared to larger beds, Twin-sized mattresses are mostly designed for young adults. They are also a great option when looking for a college student mattress as they can easily fit bed frame on bunk beds both on and off campus.
- Their rather compact size also makes them a sustainable solution for boats and motorhomes, where space is quite limited.
What is it made of?
As a standard mattress size, Twin-size bed is available in all configurations and material combinations available in larger and more commonly sold mattress sizes (such as the Queen). You can expect to find single beds made of foam (a type of product that consists of cheaper beds with a lifespan of about 5 to 6 years), latex (a more durable material that makes up mattresses that can withstand up to 7 on average years), hybrids (more expensive, but offers good support and lasts about 6 to 7 years), innerspring (made with a spiral support core and has a lifespan of about 5 years) and airbeds (more expensive and sophisticated, but also with a higher lifespan of approx. 7 to 9 years).
There are plenty of accessories on the market for a double bed because it is considered one of the 6 standard mattress sizes on the market. Everything from bed frames to pillowcases is more available in terms of price if you are considering buying them in a Twin-sized version. Make sure you have a compatible bed frame / box spring and that you buy a mattress protector to protect your mattress in the long run.
All about full bed
Single adults who do not share a bed are often more attracted to the idea of investing in a full size bed. These types of mattresses are among the oldest known and until the mid 20’sth century, they were also branded as representing some of the largest beds on the market. Today, full size beds are the largest types of beds for individuals that are perfect for bunk beds and small bedrooms.
A full size bed usually measures 54 x 75 inches, but there is some full bed that measures 53 inches in width (this varies from one mattress manufacturer to another). They are much wider when you compare them to twin beds, but they are a few inches narrower and shorter compared to the second largest mattress in the lineup: Queen-size bed.
Who is it for?
The truth of the matter is that full size beds, while wider compared to those of double size, cater to a very similar market segment. These beds are most suitable for:
- Single adults not sharing a bed. If you sleep alone and do not need all the space offered by a queen bed, a full mattress is the right choice for you. For some adults, a double bed may be too narrow, making the full mattress a viable choice.
- College students sleeping in plain or bunk beds. A full size mattress is perfect for a dorm where the bedroom is not so generous. Both housing on and off campus can benefit students who sleep in full-size beds.
- Teenagers with small bedrooms. The compact size of a full mattress is great for young adults who generally do not have as much space in the bedroom and can use every extra inch of free space to move around.
What is it made of?
Much like twin beds, full mattresses are very easy to find. They are made from a variety of materials and combinations that store layers upon layers, designed to give you support, comfort and plenty of nights of good sleep (provided you understand what your body needs and choose a mattress construction that suits you) .
Full size beds are made of foam (which is the best mattress choice in terms of body contouring and pressure relief), latex (which is naturally cooling, but also one of the most durable material choices out there), innerspring (redesigned versions of the traditional spool mattress, which is good in terms of breathability and support) and hybrids (provides the best of several worlds and provides good pressure point relief, decent edge support and temperature neutrality). There are also some full size air mattresses. These beds have internal air chambers that allow you to adjust the firmness of the mattress, making them very adaptable and sophisticated, but also very expensive.
If you are worried about buying a full size bed and not finding accessories for it, do not worry anymore. It is very easy to find all kinds of bedding related items designed for this mattress size, from adjustable bed frames to sheets. These accessories are available both online and in brick stores, and they are designed for every taste and every budget.
Which is better for you?
Out of all the available bed sizes out there, Twin and Full mattresses are the ones that probably share the most similarities. Although a full mattress is better because of its more generous width, if you want to buy a new bed for a teenager or a young adult, both of these options will work fine. However, if you are an adult sleeping alone, a full size bed may be a better option, simply because it offers a larger sleeping area.
When you are down to choosing between one of these sizes with two beds, consider both your body configuration as well as the bedroom you have at your disposal. For small beds and teen bedrooms, the double mattress is definitely the winner, but older adults sleeping alone will definitely take more comfort in sleeping on a full size mattress. Make sure you review all the factors and specifications before making your choice.