Home security systems are a powerful tool to ward off thieves and protect your family in emergencies. But sometimes you may not be able to get to a phone to let your alarm company know that you need help. This is where voice alarms come in handy. This 2-way communication system in the control panel instantly puts a representative on the line, allowing you to communicate your exact emergency. It is a valuable feature that can help in several situations.
2-way communication from ADT
ADT offers a 2-way communication system that puts a representative in direct contact with the person in the home, regardless of the situation. This means that when your alarm system is activated or the panic button is pressed, you will have live, hands-free communication with someone you hear through the speaker on your keyboard. Aside from knowing that someone is there to help you right away, there are several reasons why voice alarms are beneficial to your security system.
How does the technology work?
The keyboard of your security system control center is equipped with microphones and speakers. It may seem like a simple intercom, but representatives will be able to hear you from up to 75 meters away. It is important to note that ADT says that your privacy is not compromised. The 2-way communication function is activated only when the alarm is activated by burglary or panic button.
5 benefits of voice alarms
- Convenience: Imagine if someone broke into your home but you could not find your phone. With voice alarms, you can tell the representative through the speaker that you are in trouble. Now you do not have to worry about moving to another room in an emergency.
- Help with medical problems: These voice alarms are not just for burglary. If you or someone close to you has a medical problem, get immediate help from a representative who can confirm the emergency and ensure that help is on the way. If you have a family member who has medical challenges and you cannot be at home with them all the time, this is a good way to know that help may be on the way if they need it. (This service essentially replaces the need for a separate panic necklace.)
- Peace of mind: No one is ever sure how they will react in an emergency such as a burglary or a medical event. You may not be able to get to a phone, or you may even be too busy helping someone to be able to call 9-1-1. Knowing that there is another person helping you without having to find your phone and call for help is probably one reason to purchase this feature.
- Help authorities: If a sender can hear what’s going on inside your home, it will arm them with information to help emergency personnel get to you. It is possible that the security company may hear someone shouting or a dog barking. Maybe the bad guys hear talking about what to take from your home. If there is no one on the line who gives “everything clear”, the company sends help. The representative can also record what is happening, which can come in handy later if a crime is committed.
- Stop false alarms: False alarms occur, but with voice alarms you can quickly tell the voice on the other line that it was an accident. This way, you can save authorities a trip to your home and possibly some money. After all, thousands of cities in the United States charge you for a false alarm due to wasted emergency resources.
What other companies offer voice alarms?
ADT is not the only company offering 2-way communication in the control panel of your home security system. While other companies tend to offer 2-way communication via products like cameras, many do not offer that benefit through the system control panel. Other companies that provide 2-way communication via the hub include:
- Live: The company offers a touch screen panel that allows you to communicate with the family throughout the house as well as security representatives in the event of an emergency. As a bonus, this option also allows you to control your smart home preferences on one interface. Read our full review of Vivint here.
- Brinks: Brinks has a large touch screen control panel for connecting and disconnecting your system. It also has 2-way communication or Voice Assist as the company calls it. You can have a conversation with a security representative through the panel if something goes wrong.
- Gray security: The control panel is more traditional than Vivint or Brinks, but it still allows you to talk to agents right away if you need help.
While many companies offer 2-way communication via their camera products, voice alarms are also powerful in the security control panel. Just being able to communicate via a security camera is worth it, but you will have to make a separate emergency call if anyone needs help. With voice alarms, when an agent realizes you need help, there is nothing else you need to do. Ultimately, the choice to purchase a 2-way communication system in your control panel can save your life.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. Officer Banta has been a member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years and reviews all articles before giving his stamp of approval. Click here for more information about Officer Banta and the rest of our team.